Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Epidemic of the Black Garage Door

I don't spend a great deal of time contemplating this issue but I do feel as though black garage doors are done. Or should I say over-done.  I asked myself why I was so perturbed by this and this is the answer I got, "because when you open your front door, you see no less than 7 black garage doors." I live on a court where there are 10 houses, including mine.  That's a high percentage of black doors.  I also hasten to add that I am a big believer in hiding life's utilitarian objects such as TV clickers, toothbrushes and keys.  Along those lines, garage doors, while a big part of a home's facade, are utilitarian.  I'm not saying you can hide the doors, but you can disguise them.

 I give you Exhibit A:


A lovely, well-designed home.  The brick and stucco colour are excellent choices. With a big, black focal point.  What about the landscaping, the lovely rooflines?  To me, they aren't nearly as noticeable as the gaping mouth that is the garage door.

Now, I give you an improvement:

It's a small change but I think it puts more of the focus on the  real focal point of the home, which should always be the front door.  The black front door picks up on the black roof, so I think it works.

I think I'll just pop this photo (produced with Benjamin Moore's Personal Colour Viewer) in the neighbour's mailbox and call it a Public Service Announcement. I'm doing my bit to put a stop to the black garage door epidemic.

2 comments:

  1. Garage doors are no longer the regular roll-top ones, which have to be pushed up by hand. These days, garage door openers are provided with various accessories to make opening easier. No matter how heavy the garage door, it can be fitted with the right kind of opener. Please visit my site for more details.

    Rolling Gates NYC

    ReplyDelete